Saturday 15 September 2007


Saturday saw Ohakune smothered in thick misty cloud and intermittent periods of light rain scuffling between the buildings and trees. The mountain was hidden somewhere in the murk, the report for the slopes was all go, but the drive up the Turoa road seemed to show a different theme for the day. Arriving at Turoa base, the throngs of people were streaming onto the chair lifts and up into god knows what! As I grabbed all my rental gear and readied myself for a day of pain, the clouds split, the mountain unleashed all its beauty and the sun beat down hard on the thin base of snow. It was perfect! Although the snow seemed light, the snow machines and groomers had been working overtime to create a winter paradise for the masses. My success was lasting the day and wondering how the hell it was possible to ski the steep slopes at the top let alone the beginners slopes in which I spent the majority of my time picking myself up from. 4pm saw the close of the field and the curtains close on the mountain once again, as if it was in a play at the theatre. A truly magical experience and one I wish to partake in again soon.